Magellan Drug and Alcohol Rehab Insurance Coverage
Written by Theresa Valenzky
Magellan insurance rehab coverage is available, and The Recovery Village at Baptist Health in Florida is in-network with this company.
When comparing drug and alcohol rehab programs or considering treatment for yourself or a loved one, the cost is a concern. What’s important to realize is that your insurer will likely cover at least a portion of your treatment costs because addiction is a chronic disease. The Recovery Village at Baptist Health works to bring accessibility in care to as many people as possible through an expansive number of in-network partnerships with insurers nationwide.
Magellan Provider Overview
Magellan Health is a company based in Scottsdale, Arizona, focusing on providing behavioral health services. Magellan offers different types of health plans, health savings accounts, individual health plans and Medicare plans. Around 1 in 10 Americans are served by Magellan Health. The company has more than 77,000 facilities and service providers specializing in mental health.
Magellan Plans and Coverage Levels
While the options can vary depending on things like your employer, state and particular plan, in general, coverage levels available through Magellan include:
- HMO: Health maintenance organization plans are also known as an HMO. With these plans, holders can get their care from providers in-network with Magellan. An HMO tends to be less expensive than other options, but you may not have the option to go to a facility or see a provider out-of-network.
- POS: Point of service plans are also called POS plans; they have more freedom to see your selected or preferred provider than an HMO. However, if you go out-of-network, you’ll probably have higher out-of-pocket costs than staying in-network. You may also need a referral from your primary care doctor or provider to see a specialist if you have a POS plan.
- PPO: Preferred provider organizations are known as PPO plans which have higher costs than the other types of plans, but you also have more freedom in where you receive care. If you stay in-network, your copays will be lower, but you also have the option to go out-of-network.
How To Check Your Magellan Insurance Benefits
There are a few different ways you can check your Magellan insurance benefits and find out the specifics:
- There should be a number on the back of your insurance card. You can call this number and talk to the company directly to determine what’s covered under your plan.
- You can contact one of our Recovery Advocates, who can work on your behalf to verify insurance benefits.
- Use our insurance verification tool and find out details of your coverage quickly and easily.
Does Magellan Insurance Cover Drug and Alcohol Rehab?
Magellan insurance covers drug and alcohol rehab in many cases, as their area of specialty is behavioral health, which includes substance use disorders. Many insurers now include benefits for drug and alcohol rehab as standard coverage areas, particularly since the Affordable Care Act mandated they’re treated as an essential health benefit for marketplace plans.
Do Treatment Centers Need To Be In-Network?
Because of how Magellan insurance coverage works, it will be best for you if a treatment center is in-network. This means the center has an agreement with Magellan on how much will be charged, which keeps the out-of-pocket and overall treatment costs lower for the policyholder. If you go to an out-of-network center for treatment, there’s a chance that you have to pay the total price of the services you receive out-of-pocket.
What Types of Addiction Treatment Does Magellan Cover?
Magellan will cover most types of addiction treatment and different levels of care, including:
- Medical detox: During these programs, you receive around-the-clock medical monitoring and treatment interventions to help you make it through withdrawal as safely and comfortably as possible.
- Inpatient rehab: These residential programs require onsite living for a period of time for focused, comprehensive treatment.
- Partial hospitalization programs: These are transitional between inpatient and outpatient rehab.
- Outpatient rehab: Available in varying intensity levels, outpatient rehab is flexible and usually requires a few hours of treatment a week while you return home in the evenings.
- Dual diagnosis: This treatment involves someone with co-occurring mental health disorders.
- Medication-assisted treatments: Certain medicines and behavioral therapies are approved to help treat addiction. Magellan may cover these.
Magellan Lengths of Treatment
When you go to an inpatient rehab center, your stay might typically be 30, 60 or 90 days, but every treatment plan is customized to the individual. Regardless, Magellan will decide on how long of a stay to approve depending on factors including:
- Where you’re receiving care
- Your medical history and current medical needs
- Your plan with them
- Other individual factors
Magellan In-Network Coverage in Florida
If you want to receive addiction treatment at an in-network facility, contact Orlando Recovery Center. We work with Magellan Health and can help verify your benefits with the company and learn more about your out-of-pocket costs. You can contact a Recovery Advocate on our team or use our insurance verification tool. You can also contact Magellan Health directly.If you want to learn more or are ready to take that critical next step, reach out today.
Are you or a loved one struggling with addiction?
Our Recovery Advocates are available 24/7 to help.
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. “About the Affordable Care Act.” Accessed July 17, 2023.